NetBeans is a free and open-source integrated development environment (IDE). It supports the development of all Java application types (Java SE, Java ME, web, EJB, and mobile applications) out of the box.
All the functions of the IDE are provided by modules, which allow NetBeans IDE to be extended. Each module provides a well-defined function, such as support for the Java language, editing, support for the CVS or SVN versioning system. NetBeans IDE contains all the modules needed for Java development in a single download, allowing the user to start working immediately.
Jelastic has created a plugin for NetBeans development platform that simplifies the process of application management and development in Jelastic PaaS.
Use the following instruction to install the plugin and manage Jelastic PaaS environments through NetBeans IDE.
NetBeans Plugin Installation
In order to start working with the Jelastic NetBeans plugin, you need to get it installed within the IDE.
1. Run the latest version of NetBeans IDE (Java EE or All bundle) and navigate to the Tools > Plugins menu item.
2. Switch to the Available Plugins tab and enter jelastic in the Search field. Choose Jelastic Netbeans Plugin in the list and click the Install button.
3. Click the Next button in the appeared window.
4. Read and accept the terms of the license agreement with the appropriate checkbox.
Click Install to proceed.
5. After installation success, close the window with the Finish button.
Now, you have the Jelastic Plugin installed in your NetBeans IDE.
Connect NetBeans Plugin to Jelastic PaaS Account
1. Navigate to the Window > Services menu item.
2. Within the opened section, right-click on the Cloud line and add a new cloud.
3. Choose Jelastic in the list of cloud providers and click Next.
4. In the opened window specify Display name (any preferable name, for example myjelastic), choose (from the drop-down list) or type the Jelastic Paas domain name, and fill in Login and Password fields with your Jelastic PaaS credentials.
Click Finish to establish the connection.
5. Now, if you expand the Cloud list, you will see a new one with the name you have specified.
NetBeans Plugin Management
Now, as you have the Jelastic NetBeans plugin installed and connection established, you can proceed to the management of your existing Java environments via the Services tab. For that expand your Cloud list and choose the desired environment.
1. To stop an environment right-click on it and choose Stop environment.
2. If you want to run a stopped environment, right-click on it and choose Start environment.
Get Log Files
1. You can easily manage log files on your Jelastic PaaS instances directly in the IDE. Expand the required node to find the log file you are interested in, right-click it and choose Get log (or just double-click).
2. Log file will be automatically opened.
3. If you want to save log file, choose the File > Save As menu item.
If you have a deployed an application, you can right-click on the appropriate context in the environment to open your application in the browser.
Using this menu, you can also delete the chosen context.
Deploy Application via NetBeans Plugin
You can create your own project in NetBeans IDE and deploy it right into your Jelastic PaaS environment.
Create New Project
1. Click the New Project button in the upper tools panel of NetBeans IDE.
2. Choose the Java Web category and the Web Application project. Click Next.
3.In the opened window, enter the desired Project Name, specify Project Location and Project Folder. Click Next to proceed.
4. Select one of your environments in the Server drop-down list. If needed, specify the context and click Next one more time.
5. If you want to use frameworks in your application, tick the required ones and click Finish.
6. Your new web project will be created in a moment.
1. Right-click the name of your project and choose the Deploy menu item.
2. Next, the .war archive of your project will be built and deployed to Jelastic PaaS.
3. To make sure everything works, open your application URL in the browser manually or automatically by clicking Open App in browser in the Services tab.
As a result, your application will be opened.
With Jelastic NetBeans IDE plugin installed you can easily manage, develop and deploy your applications without switching between the IDE and the browser. Register and get started now at our Jelastic PaaS platform.